You probably have heard about asbestos, and that it has serious side effects, but do you know what it actually is?
Asbestos was introduced as a building material almost 90 years ago and it was hailed as a miracle material. It can withstand fire, heat, electricity and absorb sound, and all this while being cheap to manufacture. It was used for about 20 years until the negative effect it could have on humans led to it being outlawed.
Today, you will not find asbestos in most homes, but if your home was built in the 50s or earlier, it is a possibility that there is asbestos in some of the materials used.
Fortunately, asbestos is harmless unless it is disturbed and the fibers released into the air. To prevent this from happening, you should be careful not to do any renovation or demolition in your home unless you’re absolutely certain it does not contain asbestos.
If you do find asbestos in your home, you need to have it taken care of by a professional company. Otherwise, you could put yourself and your family at danger for serious respiratory issues, even lung cancer.